Mary Ann Liebert, Inc. family of companies
How We Protect Personal Information
Any personal information given to us will be treated with the utmost care and security.
A variety of physical and technical measures are used to keep data safe and prevent unauthorized access to, or use or disclosure of personal information.
Electronic data and databases are stored on secure computer systems, and we control who has access to information, using both physical and electronic means. We have detailed security and data protection policies that employees are required to follow when handling personal information data.
All reasonable steps are taken to ensure that your personal information is kept secure from unauthorized access. For questions concerning how we protect your personal information, you can contact our Chief Information Officer.
Information We Collect
Information you provide to us:
- Contact details such as your name, email address, postal address, and telephone number
- Professional information, such as institutional affiliation(s), job title, and field(s) of study
- Location information (e.g., the country in which you are based)
- Comments, feedback, questions, and other submitted content
- Interests and communication preferences, including marketing permissions where appropriate
- Payment information, such as credit card or banking details
Device and usage data:
Data from your institution:
We may obtain personal information directly from the institution with which you are employed or affiliated in order to activate and manage your access to the institution’s subscriptions or services purchased from us, including:
- Contact details, such as your name and institutional email address, postal address and phone number;
- Other account registration information, such as job title; and/or
- Institutional user ID
Data from other sources:
In certain circumstances, data that you have made available publicly on other websites or in otherwise publicly viewable documents, such as your contact details, research interests, courses that you teach, and the institution at which you are based, may be collected in order to deliver a more personalized experience for you when interacting with our website and products. When we do this, we carefully consider whether doing so is in your interest and any impact on your rights, and we will inform you as soon as practically possible about our use of your data and your right to object to this and to unsubscribe from any communications from us.
We also work with third parties and other partners and may receive information about you from them. These include business partners such as web hosting providers, email service providers, and list brokers, through which we are able to deliver our products, services, and communications. We may also obtain your personal information as a result of a journal transfer or business acquisition, or from societies and associations that we work with.
Children’s Personal Data
Our services and products are not intended for children under the age of 16, and we do not knowingly collect personal data from this age group. If any information is collected from a child under the age of 16 without verification of parental consent, it will be deleted.
When you visit our websites, we may send your computer a "cookie," a small file that resides on your computer's hard drive and stores information about you and your website preferences in order to provide you with a personalized user experience.
How We Use Your Personal Information
We may use your information for the following purposes:
- To process and fulfill orders, downloads, subscriptions, or other transactions through our website or via other means, which may involve sharing your information with our order processing and delivery service providers;
- To keep in contact with you about news, events, new website features or services, or new publications or products that we believe may interest you, on the basis of your consent where we have requested it or our legitimate interests to provide you with communications where we may lawfully do so. You can unsubscribe from these services at any time using links provided within our emails or by visiting our subscription centers.
- Offer you customized content and other personalization to make our services more efficient for you and more relevant to your interests and geography;
- Deliver relevant advertisements, promotional messages, and other information based on your personal information, which may include information about related products and services of ours as well as communications from third parties, including sponsors and society partners;
- To process your entry to any competitions or prize draws on the basis of your consent;
- To analyze the use of our content, services, and products in order to improve them, develop new content and services, and to predict future customer behavior, as part of our legitimate interests as a commercial organization;
- To provide customer service and support, manage inquiries or complaints about our products, websites, or services, and share your information with our website developers, IT support providers, subscription and delivery service providers, and payment services providers as necessary to provide customer support (on the basis of our legitimate interest in providing the correct products and services to you); and/or
To share your personal information with additional selected third parties such as:
- publishing partners and authors, to enable them to contact you with information about things that may interest you (where we have your consent to do so)
- social media platforms so that relevant advertisements may be selected and served to you via those platforms on the basis of our legitimate interests to market our products to you
- sponsors of events and products you have registered for, such as webinars and ebooks, where we have informed you that we will do so at the point in which you register
Links to Third Parties
Legal Basis for Use
- Where it is necessary for entering into or performing a transaction with you
- Where you have consented to its use
- Where we have a legitimate interest to do so, provided your rights do not override these interests
Where we use your information for our legitimate interests, we make sure that we take into account any potential impact that such use may have on you. Our legitimate interests don’t automatically override yours and we won’t use your information if we believe your interests should override ours unless we have other grounds to do so such as your consent or a legal obligation. If you have any concerns about our information processing please refer to the details of “Your Rights and How to Exercise Them” below.
Your Rights and How to Exercise Them
We operate in countries with data protection laws that may provide individuals the right to access and control their information. We permit you to exercise those rights as provided by data protection laws.
EU data protection laws give individuals a number of rights concerning the processing of their data and information. These laws protect individuals in the EU where the website is made available to individuals in the EU, such as Mary Ann Liebert, Inc., publishers and related companies’ websites. Under General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) these include:
- The right to confirm whether or not we have your personal data and, if we do, to obtain a copy of the personal information we hold. This is known as subject access request.
- The right to have inaccurate data rectified
- The right to request the restriction or suppression of your personal data, for example, we will stop using the data but we may continue storing it
- The right to obtain your personal data that you have provided to us, on the basis of consent or performance of a transaction or contract, and where technically feasible, transmitted in a common electronic format to you or directly to another company
- The right to object to the use of your data. Specifically, you have the right to object to our use for marketing and in relation to automated decision making, including profiling where there may be legal or similarly significant effects
- The right to erasure of your personal information from the systems we control. This does not, however, apply where it is necessary for us to continue to use the data for a lawful reason. Click here to access our right to erasure request form.
There are exceptions to the rights listed above. Where you make a request to us as part of these rights, we will always try to respond to your satisfaction, although there may be situations where we will be unable to do so. In some cases, we may be entitled to decline a request you have made regarding your personal information in accordance with applicable laws. We will explain if that is the case. Otherwise, we will meet your request as promptly as we reasonably can. If you have requested that we stop sending you marketing messages, please note that you may still receive them for a short period while the request is processed.
Depending on the laws of the country where you live, you may have other rights in respect of your personal information. If you wish to exercise any legal right in respect of your personal information, please contact us via one of the methods set out in the “Contact Us” below.
How to update your information and marketing preferences
We want to ensure you remain in control of your personal information. We try to ensure that the personal information held about you is accurate and up-to-date, and will always give the opportunity to update and opt out of future communications.
You can customize and manage your communications preferences and other settings when you register for a user account, by logging into your user account and updating your account features and preferences, by using the unsubscribe and email preferences mechanisms within email messages, or by contacting us.
Information on how to opt out will be given when your personal information is collected and specified on every communication sent with the exception of notices related directly to purchases or customer service inquiries. If at any stage you would like to update or correct such personal information, or opt-out of future marketing communications, email or write to us at the addresses provided in the “Contact Us” section below.
Chief Information Officer/Data Protection
Mary Ann Liebert, Inc.
140 Huguenot Street
New Rochelle, NY 10801
International Transfer of Personal Information
Information Storage and Retention
We will only retain your personal information for as long as is necessary and as permitted by applicable laws.
We will retain your personal information while we are using it and may continue to retain it after these uses have ended where we have a legitimate business purpose. For example, if you have opted out of marketing communications from us, we will retain details about you to ensure the opt-out request is honored. We may also continue to retain your personal information to meet our legal requirements or to defend or exercise our legal rights.
The length of time for which we will retain personal information will depend on the purposes for which it is retained, such as to fulfill ongoing subscriptions or to comply with requests to unsubscribe from communications.
List of Websites This Policy Covers
- liebertpub.com (and related subdomains: www., home., videos., ms., ecommerce., etc.)